Search This Blog

Monday, July 21, 2014

"The Upstater's Experience: The Move" by Katie Patrick

It’s roughly one o’clock AM on June 29th, 2014, as I stand in a tangled mass of arms attempting to keep an entire window pane from falling onto a small gathering of laughing, cat-calling onlookers two stories below. This is the result of what should have been the simple process of restoring a popped-out window screen to its rightful place. Balancing the heavy sheet of glass on my wearying arms, I wonder yet again what possessed me to leave a steady job and a comfortable home Upstate in exchange for a dusty, mouse-ridden apartment and no job in Bed-Stuy.

Ten months prior, when my mother remarked that she could imagine me living in New York City, I laughed and said, “No way. Never. I would never live in the city.” Having been born and raised in an all-but-forgotten village in Upstate New York, and having attended universities in towns with few people but plenty of open road, trees, and fresh air, the idea of moving somewhere without family, without greenery, and without readily-available parking repelled me. It wasn’t until I found myself sitting in my parents’ guest room after work, watching cooking shows and drinking from a glass filled to the brim with red wine, that I realized that it was time for me to consider doing more with my life before accepting my status as a home-bound, web-surfing spinster. I wanted more than a nine-to-five and occasional brunches and routine chores, didn’t I? I wanted an adventure!

Fast forward to Christmas when I half-jokingly told a city-bound friend to call on me if she needed a roommate and she said, much to my surprise, “I’m serious if you are.” It didn’t seem real until April, when she started talking about searching for apartments and finding work. What was once a casually tossed-around idea – “I’m thinking of moving to Brooklyn.” “It won’t be until the summer, maybe even the fall.” “I’ll be around for a while yet.” – suddenly turned into a swiftly-approaching reality. Every chance I had to change my mind comes flooding back to me as I listen to our neighbors whoop with laughter at our window-induced predicament.

After agreeing to call it a night and give the window-fixing project another go in the morning, I lie awake for a long time, bathed in sweat and heat and the orange light from the streetlamps, streaming through the open, curtain-less windows, which also allow us a crystal clear earful of the neighbors’ long-winded arguments.

“God, have I made a mistake?” I cannot help but wonder as the fear of unpaid rent, late-night muggings, and lost friendships – none of which have happened yet – barges into my mind. Yet it’s too late now; for better or for worse, here I am. After all, I wanted an adventure, didn’t I?


KP

1 comment: