Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

"Our Personal Deities" By Greg Hernandez

Upon finishing "American Gods," by Neil Gaiman, I came to a startling conclusion. I do believe in God! Of course I do not believe in the typical demiurge but rather a deity that is suitable to my passions and self-interests. I believe in the God of literature, performing arts, creativity, sleep-I would believe in the God of peace, but I am pretty sure it either does not exist or has been on an extended vacation.

I pray to the Gods of literature, performing arts, creativity and sleep by essentially devoting my time and energy in quotidian fashion. I read books-plays, novels, novellas, graphic novels, magazines, short story collections, poems, etc. I audition, attend Broadway plays, stage readings, one-acts, musical improv shows, musicals, stand up, dance, etc. I write-short stories, screen plays, plays, blogs, cover letters, essays, articles, I listen to good music-I know its good! I sleep as much as possible. Napping is my favorite past time. I make time for it, a 20 minute power nap keeps me sane.

The bookstore is my church. The public library is my chapel. The stage is my sanctuary. My bed is a cocoon. My headphones are the instruments of escape. All give me bliss. I show reverence. Each day that I read, act, listen to music, write and sleep is a blessing.

Everybody prays to a God. The God of money, focus, sex, popularity, attitude, confidence, equality, hyperbole, media, technology, violence, drugs, racism. sexism, agism, the lottery, sports, video games, travel, food, clothing, beauty, history, politics, consumerism, coporation and oh yeah, peace.

I have faith in my Gods. Do you have faith in yours?

"Go into the arts. I'm not kidding. The arts are not a way to make a living. They are a very human way of making life more bearable. Practicing in art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heavens sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possibly can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something." -Kurt Vonnegut

"I am the god of tits and wine." Tyion Lannister

1 comment:

  1. God is the higher power or being that is defined by your interests and priorities in life. I definitely have faith in my gods. I believe in the God of Football, the God of whiskey and scotch, the God of cigars, the God of my imaginations, and many more.

    ReplyDelete