Search This Blog

Monday, August 25, 2014

#bodypositivegirl

Let me preface this story by saying that I am a very docile, happy and calm person 99% of the time. But, when the boy I dated for a few months smugly said body-shaming related comments then this passionate, furious and outspoken version of myself emerged.

We’ll call him Boy X.

I told Boy X that I want to coach/consult girls and help them create healthier relationships with food. Ultimately, I’d like to help girls with binge eating disorder (BED), anorexia and bulemia. Boy X chuckled. He told me that I’m insane and should “tell that fat piece of shit with BED to get on a treadmill and stop shoving cake down her throat.”

I was stunned.

He insisted we role play and I pretend to coach him as if he were an anorexia patient. Horrid, ignorant misconceptions came out of his mouth that made him look less and less attractive with each utterance. Boy X said to “tell the fuckers to just eat. Hell, let them see how much I eat and I’ll force feed them. They’ll be fine.”

I was stunned.

The last straw? When I, still somehow maintaining composure and soaking in his idiocy, said that I believe all women are beautiful and should love themselves as they are during their journey. Boy X maniacally laughed. “So. You’re telling me that if you saw a 400 lb woman then you’d think she was beautiful?” Yes. Yes I would. I felt my face turning bright red and my jaw clench. Needless to say, I’ve lose all respect for Boy X; we’re not compatible anymore.

The saddest part is that the Boy X mentality exists everywhere. There is a stigma against heavy people, thin people, and people battling real disorders. Boy X-minded people are the reason why I want to make a difference; I want to change that mentality.

This fire and passion led me to create the #bodypositivegirl challenge on instagram (@srollz):

bodypositivegirl
I challenge all of YOU to do this with me. I know I still have a long way to go to achieve my ideal aesthetic but this challenge exemplifies the idea that we should love ourselves as we are in this moment.

I battled anorexia and after many years of healing I am learning to love myself and want to inspire other women to do the same. Want to participate in this challenge and promote confidence and body positivity? Post a photo on Instagram or Facebook with this caption:

Body Positivity (n): loving and accepting your body at any size. I nominate (nominate three people) to post photos that they feel beautiful in. Rock what ya got ladies! And remember to hashtag #bodypositivegirl.

To clarify, it can just be a moment that was captured that you felt fulfilled or beautiful. For instance, it could be you with your loved ones or children, or even during a volunteering event etc. Doesn’t have to be a selfie!

It’s small, but it’s a start!

No comments:

Post a Comment