Search This Blog

Monday, December 15, 2014

Education, Tuition Cost and Life After College



In the past six months, I have spoken with many close friends who are graduating from college this fall and upcoming spring. All of them have the same concern. "What will I be doing after college?"

Their list of worries are as followed:

- Work.
- Loan Payments.
- When to move out?
- Wait, should I move out?
- If so, where to?
- How long should I wait to move out?
- How do I make my dream(s) possible?
- What are the necessary steps?
-Why don't I have this figured out yet?
-Graduate school or travel for a year?
-Wait, travelling, costs money...so does Graduate School...Hmm,,,backpacking? Solo travelling?

The list as I'm sure you're aware, goes on...

Below are some helpful tips and suggestions that can help ease your tension.
This list is not meant to solve your problems. It is meant to get your thoughts going for a good game plan.

If this list does not help, I have a little rant afterward.

1. Network - We live in the age of instantaneous information. Social Media is that epicenter of said information. My generation is in the middle of it. Ten years ago I was 13 and in the 8th grade. I did not get a cell phone from my parents until I nearly graduated that year. Now I possess a bevy of skills that afford me a multitude of possibilities. I can peruse the web on my phone. I can update my websites, profiles, photos, blogs, acting reels and respond to e-mails. I can create effective content that can maximize the marketing potential of my brand - that brand is me.

Be selfish, this is your life. You are your brand. Help optimize the brand- "you" make yourself marketable for life after college.

"Begin to monitor your Facebook and other social media accounts. Keep inappropriate or provocative photos and information off your page or change your privacy settings, so that employers cannot see them."

The above advice is something I snagged from the Internet. While I agree with most of it, keep in mind that employers want to find the most qualified candidate. The qualifications include who is the right fit, personality wise.

So, yes clean up your Facebook, but keep it interesting, be you. The right career will come.

Building your own website: Highlight all of your accomplishments, ambitions and passions. All are relevant.

Create your own business card: If you meet someone - anywhere you can secure them as a contact with your card.

Meet people: Do not just apply for jobs, do not limit yourself. Attend workshops, gatherings, parties and any other social events that will help you meet the right person/people. Remain upbeat and be outside, after all, some times it comes down to who you know.

Always dress your best: You never know when opportunity will strike. It would behoove you to try to always be prepared. Going into the city, dress well. 

2, Use all campus resources

Before you graduate, have your resume reviewed by a peer assistant at the career center

Speak with your professors and mentors. 

- Ask them to serve as your references. They can help you out in your job search by vouching for you as an excellent candidate

3. Volunteer 

This is a quick route to take if you're unsure of what to do after college,
Volunteering is a great way to stay active in a community.
Yes, it sucks to not get paid for work, but remember that volunteer work looks terrific on a resume and it is a great way to establish connections and further expand your network.

4. Develop Other Skills

Work on your deficiencies. Turn your weaknesses into strengths. Face your short comings and improve. It will make you more of an asset.

Below is a quick general list many employers are looking for in the modern world.

1. Ability to work in a team
2. Ability to make decisions and solve problems
3. Ability to plan, organize and prioritize work
4. Ability to communicate verbally with people inside and outside an organization
5. Ability to obtain and process information
6. Ability to analyze quantitative data
7. Technical knowledge related to the job
8. Proficiency with computer software programs
9. Ability to create and/or edit written reports

10. Ability to sell and influence others

5. Remember Those In Your Corner

Remember, having the support of even just one person can make a difference.
When you're feeling blue about your employment predicament, please allow whoever it is in your corner to lift your spirits.

Try not to shut them out. They are trying to help. You need them and they need you to remain upbeat.


RANT:

While riding the subway home after work, I saw this poster on the subway. 
I had a harsh reaction to it.

I thought, "Here's A Better Plan...Lower College Costs..."

Obama says that education is priceless. He's not wrong, but he's not right either. Education is priceless, but college is not. The cost of tuition continues to rise every year, which exacerbates the already heavy burden placed on middle and working class families. The word, "Class" annoys the hell out of me...forget class systems...

I am not going to get into specifics, in regards to numbers, but honestly this system is flat out against us. "Since 1985, U.S. college costs have surged by about 500 percent, and tuition fees keep rising. "

-Why should I pay to learn?
-Why should I pay to live and be fed while learning?
- Paying to live on college for the whole year when I'm there for only 10 months....12 months of rent...c'mon man!
-Is learning a privilege or a right? Answer: It's an expensive privilege...
-What the hell is out-of-state tuition? Paying more to go to another state to learn is despicable...

-Why do textbooks cost so much?
-We improve the infrastructure of our college buildings, but not your bridges...why? Oh I know why...because there's money in college.

Students are like cash cows...we pay all of this money for a fucking piece of paper that cannot guarantee us a career, but only struggle.

Graduate school is thrown at us, but that is even more money...more loans...and if you are not accepted...more heartache...

Join the military to avoid debt...I see what is going on here, America.

Everyone must go to college and spend...college is not affordable, but there are plans to make sure that you are able to pay in full...that is not affordable.

Education is priceless...college is not. College is not necessary. Yes. I said it. 
Get your high school diploma and leave the country. Apply to schools in Finland or Germany where the tuition is free. Start your living in northern Europe. 

I snagged the below statement from an article I read on countries that offer free college tuition.


"Dorothee Stapelfeldt, a senator in the northern city of Hamburg, said tuition fees "discourage young people who do not have a traditional academic family background from taking up study.  It is a core task of politics to ensure that young women and men can study with a high quality standard free of charge in Germany."

It has been extremely difficult for me to land a full-time job that I want to actually wake up in the morning for. I had a job offer after college, but turned it down, because I realized it would not make me happy.

Instead, I have had numerous interviews, several freelance jobs and gigs.
I want to move out soon, but still need to save money and land a better job.

Notice, I have only said the word, "job," so far. I know what my career will be.

I want to be a story teller. I will write for movies, television and theatre.  
I will act. I will produce, I will direct. I will advertise my brand: me.

I know I will do all of this, because I already am doing all of this.
My side projects are, Blogging, Creative Writing, Acting, Film, Theatre and Photography.
Soon, I will be able to live off of my side projects. I am keeping my dream alive through them.

So, my last bit of advice is this, you've paid so much for your education: which entails what you have learned in the classroom and everything you have experienced outside of it.

USE IT! ALL OF IT! USE IT ALL TO YOUR ADVANTAGE!!

BELIEVE YOU WILL BE GREAT!!

I met a lot of awesome people in college.

My network is quite large. I am happy that my side projects have helped to keep me sane.

Yup, I'm the only black guy in every photo.









1 comment: