Search This Blog

Sunday, December 28, 2014

"How Should One View Criticism?" By Greg Hernandez

How you handle criticism, speaks volumes of your character.

How should you view it? As a bright opportunity to get better in your respective craft.

Today, many of my close friends came over to my home. The purpose for this group visit was for the production meeting of a short film that I am currently writing.

 They spoke about how far the story has come from the 1st draft to the 4th. I looked around my living room at my peers. This wonderful group of talented individuals are from my Alma Mater. Many came from great distances to be apart of something that I have created. It was beyond inspiring.

I listened to their comments, unbiased and completely devoid of ego. I realized the truth. It is because of them that my story has come this far. Their constructive criticisms, ideas, questions and overall thoughts have helped me to create a story worth telling.

I am thankful that I have an abundance of friends who care enough to read draft after draft with the purpose of making it great. A sudden burst of realism strikes me like a harsh wind. "They care so much about this story!"

I am happy that I have learned how to be more receptive to sharp criticisms. It allows me to look at myself differently. The criticisms force me to take a long, hard look at my work and see it in the eyes of someone else.

A fresh perspective gives me the advantage to cultivate true writing. By, true writing, I mean something new. No more cliches. Thanks to the honesty and support of my friends, I am equipped with the tools to become a better writer and person.

As a human being, we never truly look forward to hearing or seeing our work critiqued, but I have now matured enough to the point that I understand that it is necessary to tackle the criticisms. It will make me better.

Now, I look forward to the criticism. I am thankful that I have such a strong network of friends, who can read my work and fire back amazing comments, notes and corrections my way.

I believe in accepting criticism. It is an important part of growing in one's craft. I respect everyone's view. I look forward to everyone's thoughts on whatever project I am involved with. Equality is important. We're all human beings. We all have brains. We all deserve to let our thoughts be known.

 I try my best to never shy away from listening to someone's thoughts on my work. I honestly believe that should be the case for all writing. Professional or amateur.

There have been so many forewords that I have read by my favorite artists who have extensively discussed how it is imperative that all their editors, publishers, friends and family members read their work and give them feedback.

As someone who deeply enjoys the process of writing a good story, I find receiving feedback and revising to be equally titillating. I just flat out love it. Without my network of friends to assist me, I would be way behind as a writer.

Keep your intelligent and trustworthy friends by your side. They are the key to making you become the better you.

I owe many thanks to my friend Ashley Smith, who is my personal editor.

1 comment: